Every summer growing up, my mom, my dad, my brother and I would load up in the Delta 88 and head up to visit relatives. Believe it or not, I loved it and was always sad to leave.
All of my grandparents lived within jogging distance of one another, and my aunts uncles and cousins lived close enough that we would either drive over to see them or vice versa. I have a lot of great memories of those times.
When I realized that it had been 3 years since I had last been up there, my mom and I planned a little girls trip.
Our trip can be divided into 3 days. And a LOT of pictures...
Day 1
Grace woke up clearly refreshed after a good night's sleep and exclaimed, "Helloooo, Indiana!"
Bonnie also woke up bright-eyed and bushy-tailed. At 6:48am.
After breakfast and a lot of coffee we made the 30 minute drive from Plainfield to Greencastle and spent the afternoon with my grandparents. It was the first time that Grandma Flo and Grandpa Al (my dad's parents) had ever met Bonnie and the first time they'd seen Grace since she was 11 months old.
Uncle Ken, Uncle Eric and Aunt Karla all came over to hang out, too. Uncle Ken and Uncle Eric are two of four of my dad's brothers. Aunt Karla is married to Uncle Eric.
The girls were so good and sweet and we had such a special visit with my grandparents and my aunt and uncles.
| Uncle Ken and Gracie |
![]() |
| Grandma Flo and Bonnie playing the piano |
| Grandma Flo playing a song for the girls |
![]() |
| Grandpa Al and Gracie |
Grandma Flo made my all time favorite...her signature spaghetti and meatballs. Yum!
| Although Bonnie opted for plain pasta, she ate all of it. |
| Grace with Aunt Karla and Uncle Eric |
| Grandpa Al loving on Bonnie |
![]() |
| Grace and I liked this bright red fire hydrant we saw on our walk. |
After our visit, we did a little sightseeing around Greencastle. The Tin Man pictured below has been in that same spot since my mom and dad were little!
The Monon Railroad used to run through Greencastle and is now historically marked by a restaurant.
The farmhouse pictured below used to belong to my step aunt and uncle on my mom's side of the family. We spent a lot of time here growing up playing in the huge yard by the cornfields and in the barn (which is sadly not there anymore).
| The house where my mom grew up on West Walnut Street. |
| The Dolly Parton Church, affectionately named by my late Mamaw. This is not a historic sight. Just really funny. |
![]() |
| Glad to take her dress off |
Day 2
![]() |
| Bonnie did NOT want her picture taken |
![]() |
| Grace, on the other hand, is always ready to strike a pose |
On Sunday, my Aunt Nancy (my mom's sister) drove over from Indianapolis to hang out with us. We met her best friend, Connie, at Chili's for lunch and then headed over to Connie and Mike's farm to play with the animals.
The girls (and I) had a blast and I think that in my next life I'd like to live on a farm.
![]() |
| Grace and "Louie Patooie" |
![]() |
| Grace and Aunt Connie walking to the barn to see the cows |
![]() |
| Mooing at the cows... |
| "Mooting" (Bonnie's way of saying moo is moot) at the cows |
| Bonnie wanted to get in the pen with the cows |
| She was sent back to the car with my mom shortly after this picture was taken. |
Grace L-O-V-E-D talking to the cows and got especially excited when they mooed back at her. She loved them so much, in fact, that she never once complained about the knock-you-over wind that was going on all around us. It was brutal!
![]() |
| Jack |
| Aunt Nancy and the girls |
| Bonnie's new sippy cup |
Nothing like fresh country air to wear you out!
Day 3
The weather was really bad on Monday, so we pretty much hung around the hotel all day and packed for the long drive home on Tuesday. I did manage to get the girls dressed up and take a few pictures...
We had a great trip and I am so thankful for the time the girls and I got to spend with my grandparents. Hopefully we'll be able to make another trip up to Indiana sometime soon!



























