Thursday, November 18, 2010

Green. Yellow. Red.

Every now and then, Gracie offers a tiny glimpse of what goes on in her preschool class. Since she typically doesn't care to answer direct questions regarding her day, I have to be crafty about how I get my information.

Really, all I have to do is eavesdrop on her when she talks to Bonnie.

Like today, for instance.

One of Bonnie's favorite past times is crawling up to the armoire in the den, pulling herself up so that she can reach the cable box, and turning it off. This is quite an annoying little game she likes to play as we {Grace} are usually watching something that's been recorded.

The routine goes a little something like this:

1) Bonnie turns the DVR off.
2) Grace gets chapped and yells at her.
3) I scold Grace for yelling at her sister.
4) I turn the DVR back on, but it automatically goes to live TV mode.
5) Grace whines because it's not what she wants to watch.
6) I scold her again for whining and tell her to be patient.
7) I scroll down the recorded programs menu as fast as I can to find the program we were once watching.
8) I resume my chores.
9) Bonnie turns the DVR off again.
10) Repeat all of the above.

Today was a little different, though.

Bonnie, in her daily late afternoon attempt to antagonize her sister, crawled over to the armoire to pull her usual antics. Grace, however, handled the situation a bit differently this time.

I was expecting a shriek, but all Grace said was, "No, no, Bon. I'm sorry. Now you're on red."

Hmmm. Could it be that there's a "traffic light discipline system" at preschool?

So I started asking questions. And Grace was pretty compliant about answering them, too.

I started by asking if she begins each day "on green" and then subsequently moves to "yellow" after one warning and then "red" after two warnings, etc. She answered "yes" to all of my questions and then volunteered that "after red comes time out."

Now, I already know that she hasn't been to time out this school year. I know that because 1) she told me, 2) I believe her because she doesn't really know how to lie (yet), and 3) her teachers are always telling me how sweet and polite she is.

So then I asked her if she has ever been on red.

In a very matter-of-fact tone she said, "Um, yes. Yes I have."

Let's just say I've implemented this little traffic light system at home and it has been working quite beautifully. So far.