Monday, November 8, 2010

Always safety first.



My Gracie.

She's funny, friendly, zany (yes, zany), sassy, smart, sweet, stubborn, loving...I could go on for hours. And I absolutely adore her.

She is also extremely sensitive. Like to the point where if you look at her cross-eyed she might cry.

This afternoon was no exception.

We had just finished a lightning fast trip to Publix (it was 5:45 pm and I hadn't given one thought to what I would make for dinner) and I was in a rush to put all the grocery bags in the car. Grace has gotten really good about getting in her car seat by herself and fastening her chest strap. After I get Bonnie situated I help Grace fasten the lap belt. Today, however, I was in such a hurry that I started to drive off without finishing the job.

Of course Grace let me know about it. Again, I was in such a rush to get home and there were cars behind me at this point that I just said it was no big deal and we'd be home in 2 seconds. Terrible, I know, but our house is literally a stone's throw away from Publix and I figured the chest strap was sufficient being that we were about to turn onto our street.

By the time we got to the tennis courts, which was about .01 seconds later, she started sobbing. Not a fit, but actual sobbing. I was sort of laughing (to keep from crying myself) and when I asked her what was the matter she just sobbed and said, "I don't want you to go to jail!"

Clearly, I'd better be a little more careful with my policeman threats when she's acting up in the car!