I read an interview with Tina Fey on People.com this afternoon that had me laughing to the point of tears. Perhaps I'm the only person that will find humor in this, but I doubt it.
She said, "Kids are definitely the boss of you. Anyone who will barge into the room while you are on the commode is the boss of you. And when you explain to them that you're on the commode and that they should leave but they don't? That's a high-level boss."
That has certainly been the case around here the last couple of weeks.
Until now.
Just like most parents of young children, we are currently dealing with some major whining issues. It seems that as soon as Grace hears anything that is contradictory to what she wants, she instantly starts jumping up and down and crying.
What?? She is normally so good, priding herself on being nice to everyone and using her manners. Of course she has her moments, but the last couple of weeks have been ridiculous.
For example, trying to get her to leave a play date at a friend's house last week was downright embarrassing.
And to think I was under the impression that the terrible two's were behind her.
I've tried reasoning with her (insert laugh), yelling at her, swatting her on the behind (who knew that it actually does hurt the parent more than it hurts the child!) and ignoring her. All of which have left me feeling really bad about my child rearing ability.
So I've decided to put my Psychology degree to use and I've come up with an incentive system. It's definitely Pavlovian in nature, just without the bells and the drooling dogs.
It involves a chart, some "good behavior" stickers, and a small reward at the end of each week that she gets at least 4 good behavior stickers.
The rewards are not big. This month's prizes are a movie night with popcorn and hot chocolate and a trip to Bruster's for an ice cream cone.
We just started this new system on Sunday and so far, so good. I can actually see her stop and think before she reacts.
I don't know if this new system is the right thing to do or if it is just straight up bribery, but I had to try something different. I am hopeful she can keep up the good work!
Bonnie on the other hand...
Her brand new favorite thing to say is "I don't want to!" She started saying it yesterday, and says it very clearly and very frequently. Good grief.
