Friday, February 11, 2011

A Surprise Trip to the Doctor

This entire week Grace has had a little bit of stuffy, crusty nose (yum).  I really didn't think much of it at first and have just been chalking it up to the preschool funk that every kid inevitably gets at some point; however, I did keep her home from school on Tuesday because she actually told me that she didn't feel good.

She never, ever says that she doesn't feel good.

She seemed to be feeling better on Thursday and was eager to go back to school and see her friends.  She had been acting normal all afternoon, and did her usual dress-up-in-jewels-and-headbands routine after her bath.

While she was taking all of her accessories off before she got in bed she mentioned that her head hurt behind her left ear.  Once again, I thought nothing of it and chalked that one up to a too-tight headband.

Then she woke up at 1:50 this morning with a "bad dream."  In keeping with my complete inability to notice that she was actually sick, I assumed that this was merely a ploy to snuggle up in our bed and sent her back to her room.

When she was still complaining this morning that the headband, which she had worn no less than 13 hours before, was hurting her head (still behind her ear) my dim bulb finally got a little brighter and I suspected an ear infection.  Her progressive screaming for the rest of the morning that her ear was hurting was also a big clue.

We went to the doctor and as soon as he looked in her ear he said, "Well there's where the pain's coming from.  Wanna take a look, Mom?"

I took a peek and sure enough the inside of my poor little girl's ear was as red as a cherry.  I must have gasped because then the doctor said "Yeah, it shouldn't be that color."

It breaks my heart to see my kids sick.

Suffice it to say we stopped by the toy store for a little treat and since we were so close to Gramps's office we met him for a quick lunch at Chick-fil-a before heading straight to the pharmacy.

She will be on Omnicef for the next 10 days.




On a brighter note these 2 are inseparable nowadays, holding hands wherever they go...