I remember my first time ever going to the dentist. I wore a white shirt and a jean skirt with pears on the rear-end pockets. I was 3 years old.
I can't believe that today I took my own (almost) 3 year old daughter to her very first ever dentist appointment! We've talked about her visit a lot this week, but I was still a little nervous as to how she would handle everything. As soon as we walked into the building she said, "It smells like a doctor's office in here." She was right. There was, in fact, a doctor's office on the floor below us.
After we got checked in, she started asking for Leona. Leona is our dental hygienist that, at the time of her request, Grace had not yet met. The girls behind the front desk got a big kick out of that. I've been talking Leona up a LOT in hopes that would ease her anxiety about having her teeth cleaned.
Apparently it worked.
My little chatterbox climbed right up in that dentist's chair and opened her mouth wide. Then she asked if she could watch television. They have very nice flat-screened TV's hanging from the ceiling over each patient's chair.
Gracie let Leona count all 20 of her teeth and then let her get them all polished up, "super shiny." She did such a great job and everyone was so impressed with what a big girl she was! She even sat semi-quietly and watched more television while I had my turn. :-)
I am also proud to report that neither of us has any cavities! :-)
After Grace received her Certificate of Bravery, which entitled her to an ice cream treat, we made a bee line for Chick-fil-A. She loved sitting at the high table so she could be "big like mommy!"