Monday, May 17, 2010

Gracie's 1st Ballet Recital

I know what the word proud means. I've used it in a sentence before. I've felt it before, too. Like the time I was in 11th grade and I was one of two people in my entire class to get an A on the Stoichiometry test in Chem I. It was the hardest test I took during my high school career, and I aced it. I mean I aced it.



I was so nervous when Mrs. Manly called my name for me to come up to her desk and pick up my exam. I knew that it was customary for her to place a sticker on top of students' tests who had scored an "A". I was sure that I'd bombed it miserably, so when I walked up to her, shaking, my eyes welled up with tears when she placed that sticker on MY test.

I was so proud of myself for that. Still am. In fact, I have the notebook with that test in it. Corey has seen it a million times and heard the story about it a billion times and I'm sure he'll hear it a zillion more for as long as I'm alive.

I've been proud of many other things, too. I'm proud of my parents for having been married for almost 37 years. And for raising 2 children.

I was proud of Corey when he passed the California Bar Exam. And then the Georgia Bar Exam 6 short months later. Man, his parents must be so proud of him!

And today, I felt pride again. A pride like I have never felt before.  I felt it from a parent's perspective. 


I got to see the end result of something Grace has been working so hard toward. AND SHE WAS MAGNIFICENT. The perfect little ballerina. I was so proud of her and of how much she has learned in just a few short months. She followed directions and danced like a pro. In fact, all the parents in the room today should be beaming with pride because the entire class was awesome.

I can't imagine what a blubbering fool I'm going to be when she accomplishes even bigger things...like graduating from preschool!














Poor Emma came down with a terrible stomach bug so she wasn't able to make to Grace's recital today. We love you and hope you feel better soon!

Also, a special thanks to Mimi for being my photographer today!