Sunday, June 5, 2011

Happy 4th Birthday, Gracie!


Four years ago today I held my brand new baby girl in my arms for the very first time.  And four years later, she is just as amazing as she was on the day she was born.

I was once told that Grace is "such a joyful person."  That statement couldn't be any more accurate.

Our big girl is truly a joy to be around.  She is almost always happy and is probably the most considerate and sympathetic 4 year old I know.

In fact, just tonight as I was tucking her in bed, she kept asking me if daddy and I were going to "watch and talk" (that is Grace-speak for hang out in the den and watch television and chat).  I kept answering her that yes, we were going to "watch and talk" (really, we're going to pack some more) after I told her goodnight.  Well, it finally dawned on me that she might be ready for me to leave the room so I asked her if she was ready for me to go.  She just said, "Well yes, but I didn't want to hurt your feelings, Momma."

She always manages to find the beauty in things, as cliched as that may sound.  She really never has a negative thing to say about anything or anyone.  

When she was sick a couple of months ago with that horrible fever virus, I would ask her all the time every now and then how she was feeling.  She would always say the same thing, "I feel good, Mom."  Even though I knew she felt terrible.

She has such a positive attitude and a great big heart and I could just burst with love over my sweet girl.

Ok, I could go on and on (perhaps I already have), but now I'll get to the fun part...Grace's birthday!

Corey and I were exiting our room this morning to go to Grace's room at the exact same time that she was exiting her room to come and get us.  We all stopped in our respective doorways and looked at each other for a minute when Grace just screamed, "I'M FOUR!!!!!!!!"  And then immediately ran down the hallway and jumped into my arms and gave me the biggest hug ever.  Corey was next.  Then she was off to get her birthday crown.

She was so excited to get downstairs and open presents and then meet Mimi and Gramps at church.



"The Helper"



After church we all went to Grace's favorite lunch spot, the A-O Cafe, aka, the OK Cafe.



Then, it was home for more presents with Mimi and Gramps.

On the phone with Emma

Then a little run through the sprinkler.

Picked out the ensemble herself, of course.







And more birthday cake after dinner.





Happy, happy, happy birthday to you, sweet Grace!  I LOVE you so much and am so incredibly proud of you.  I hope your 4th birthday was as wonderful as you are!!!!