Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Hilton Head

A few weeks ago, we were fortunate enough to get to go to the beach with our best friends, The Pittmans. Ceylese's in-laws own various time shares throughout the year, and every summer they spend a week in Hilton Head. Actually, the "kids" spend a week in Hilton Head, and Brad and Ceylese were gracious enough to let us tag along with them this year.

You'd think that 4 adults and 4 kids in a 2 bedroom condo would be an absolute disaster. Not this time! I am still in shock by how well everyone, i.e., the kiddos, got along being in such tight quarters, and we had the absolute best time ever.

Since we got there pretty late the first night, we didn't really do much of anything. That, however, is not at all indicative of how the rest of the trip went. We spent the next morning on the beach. Well, Corey and Grace and the Pittmans spent the first morning on the beach. I made the executive decision to wait until we were on the nice, gritty sand to put sun screen on the girls. You know, because it might rub off during the 2 minute walk to the beach.

My mistake.

Immediately after I applied the lotion to Bonnie, she rubbed her eye. Then stuck her hand in the sand. Then rubbed her eye again. The rest of the story is not pretty.

Needless to say we spent the next 2 hours in the condo. I did, however, manage to get this picture of her playing in the sand...pre-sunscreen and pre-meltdown.




After naps we headed back down to the pool, which as it turns out, is where we spent the majority of the week.



We took a little break to play in the yard...



and relax in the hammock.



I think Ceylese and I took 100 pictures just to get this one!




We also rented bikes, which I'm sure was quite a sight to all the locals who saw us riding them. Grace and Bonnie rode in their very own rickshaw towed by none other than Daddy. Brad and Mackenzie rode on some tandem contraption that had a bum handlebar and I carted Blake around in the seat attached to the back of my bike.

What about Ceylese, you may ask? Oh yes. She rode alone. The seat on Blake's and my bike was too tall for her and there was conveniently no way to lower it. I'm pretty sure that was the one and only time her shortness worked to her advantage :-)





We went to a horse park one day...






had more pool time...







and Grace had a LOT more beach time. She sure has come a long way since the beginning of the summer!







We spent some time in Harbor Town where we ate the most delicious seafood, played in the most incredible treehouse I have ever seen, and of course, ate more ice cream.






We had a blast and are so thankful for such great friends!